Thursday, September 25, 2014

Making lunches

I have figured out that I make about 90 sandwiches a month.  I use 8-10 pieces of bread every night (depending on if the EvilSpawn is home every other week).  That equates to about a loaf of bread every two days.  Which means I spend about $40 a month on bread.  Just for lunch.

The CapriSun juices cost about $2 for 10 (when on sale) and I go thru 5 or 6 a month.  so that's another $12.  Fruit, usually bananas is about $2 a week, $8.  $10 on lunch meat (because Jerkface likes turkey sandwhiches) and $8 on Peanut Butter and Jelly. We go through a LOT of peanut butter but the jelly usually lasts a little longer.  The snacks I usually get cheap too- so about $10 a month for cookies, or chips or whatever sweet goodies I put in their lunches (and some usual gets eaten after school or between SR and I).  So give or take about $90 a month on lunches.  Last year my mom made their lunches and the year before that I was broke enough for the reduced lunches at .40 a day. 

Compare that to the fact that school lunches cost $2.55, it saves me about $65 a month making lunches.  That's kind of a lot.  I've been good at making them at night, especially after the incident where I made them in the morning, and I accidentally forgot to put MEAT in Jerkfaces sandwich.  oops- at 430AM, mistakes happen. 

So before bed I make their lunches.  Write their names on the bags and set them on the counter.  Tonight I got a little creative. 

I'm sure they will laugh when they see them.  I'm not much of an artist, clearly, but I'm sure that they will show their friends and say, "My moms a dork."  but maybe someday they will look back and remember that I did this sometimes.  I should make an effort do to this on occasion.

I wish I was as awesome as this dad.



Cause that is cool.  His site has all sorts of cool bags.  What sucks is that his kid was in first grade so chances are he threw the bags away.  I'm sure when he's older and his dad is gone, he will regret doing that.  Fortunately, and unfortunately when kids are that age, they don't know regret.  Either way, it's super cool that he did it.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment