Sunday, September 21, 2014

Weekly prep


In my kitchen I have the following items for food this week.

3 lbs of ground beef
Frozen hamburger patties
3 frozen ziplock bags with 4 chicken thighs each
2 New York Steaks that the plastic came open so they are freezer burnt- I think I will give them to the dog.
3 pounds of frozen flap meat.
1 frozen pizza
1 can of chicken
Two bag of frozen vegetables, maybe 2
8 pack of frozen corn on the cob
Left over Balsamic Honey Pork Roast (originally called Balsamic Herbed pork roast but since I didn't have the herbs the recipe called for, it's not as much "herb"-y as it is "garlic and random spices"-y but there is Balsomic vinegar and Honey, so there you go)

I'm making meatloaf for dinner, using a recipe from the Betty Crocker website.  It's not the recipe from the website, but the recipe from the first comment on the post for the Betty Crocker meatloaf.  I ALWAYS read the comments on recipe posts, because the fine people of the internet always hack the recipe to make it better.  This person revamped most of the recipe, cutting many of the wet ingredients in half for a less mushy meatloaf.  I'm all for that. 

She suggested instead of using ketchup, to make your own "tomato based sauce" but since that seems like a lot of work- I'm going to use ketchup, but maybe add some seasoning to make it taste less ketchup-like,  Worcestershire Sauce maybe? I'll ask facebook later.  Facebook is great for ideas.  I have a handful of wonderful friends that will give me tips on what to exchange for things I don't have.  Or ways to make something easier.  I'm all about easy.

The best meatloaf, however, is the one I can buy already mixed at the Stater Bros. by my moms house.  I just buy 2 pounds of it, bring it home, put it in a loaf pan and bake it.  Food that someone else made is my favorite meal.  Since I don't go to my moms house 3-4 times a week anymore, I need to make my own.  I've made it a few times with varying success. 

The one thing this kind commenter said was to let the meatloaf sit, away from a heat source for 10 minutes before slicing.  This will keep the loaf from falling apart.  I think I'll need to remove the meatloaf from the pan, since it always seems to be sitting in it's juices.  Then letting it sit so- I don't know- gravity- will pull the juices down and out- leaving a meatloaf that is not lopped off at the bottom? 

Tomorrow is left over pork roast, because while we can't have it two nights in a row- I can't let it sit in the fridge for too long either. 

Tuesday is taco night- so I'm going to throw a pack of chicken thighs in the crockpot and make the chicken taco meat that I usually use breasts for.  I have the thighs, so I'm going to use them. 

Wednesday is a little too far ahead so I'll figure that out, hopefully before Tuesday so I can remember to defrost meat and crock pot it if I need to.

But now that my coffee is done, it's time to #ApronUP and get started on my day.  I'm a reluctant domestic goddess.  Or maybe I'm just Cinderella. 

Nah, fuck that.



No comments:

Post a Comment